Johanna Hero Week
"Cower before Zakarum!"
- Johanna, Crusader of Zakarum
There have been many women who have borne the name Johanna in service of the crusade, and each has given her life to purify her faith. Johanna carries on their legacy as she searches the kingdom of Khanduras for the fallen star.
Johanna the Crusader hails from the Diablo universe, and in Heroes of the Storm, she takes on the role of a formidable warrior Hero who is exceptionally tenacious. She is able to shrug off blows that would crush any other hero, and she uses her flail and her shield to mete out devastating justice on the battlefield. Johanna is at the ready to oppose evil wherever it may lurk, and she’s someone you’ll want to have at your side as you answer the call of the Nexus!
For an even more in-depth look into this Diablo Hero and her abilities, make sure to check out Johanna's Hero Page and Spotlight video below!
"Akarat have mercy on you, for I will not!"
The starting skin for Johanna in Heroes of the Storm shows off this Crusader’s fierce arsenal of well-honed weaponry!
Get ready to jump into the fray with Johanna’s newest Skin: Centurion Johanna!
- Centurion Johanna - At Emperor Severus's command, an entire legion marched against the portal of the gods. All but one returned home, a single centurion taken as punishment for man's hubris.
The original concept art for Centurion Johanna
Eager to show off your mastery of Johanna the Crusader in-game? Look no further than Johanna’s Master Skin. Once you reach Level 10 with the Johanna, you’ll be able to purchase her Master Skin with Gold!
- Master Johanna - The Crusader's armor is an emblem of their identity. Over the centuries it is constantly molded and reshaped to fit the needs and personality of its current master.
The original concept art for Master Johanna
Check out the video below for a look at some of these Skins and Tints close-up!
"Ah... There is a certain beauty in the stillness. Let's kill it."
- Johanna, Crusader of Zakarum
- The Crusader order was formed over 200 years ago.
- This was years after the Zakarum church became the guardian of Mephisto's soulstone.
- Around the time Rakkis and his armies had set off for the west to spread the Zakarum faith, leading to the creation of Westmarch
- Akkhan, a high cleric of the Zakarum church, sensed growing corruption in the church.
- To save the church he created and trained an new order, and gathered warriors of parallel strength and inner light.
- The Crusaders' mission was to find some way to cleanse the corruption from the church, but the "thing" that could cleanse the church was a mystery
- Many search for any information or artifacts related to Akarat, who was the first person to practice the religion that grew into the Zakarum faith.
- Some feel that the quest itself, and the faith and discipline it builds, is the goal.
- The Crusaders dedicate their lives to the quest, and during their lives, they take on a single apprentice.
- When the Crusader dies, the apprentice takes over. The apprentice takes the armor, shield and even the name of the Crusader who trained them
- Initially the Crusaders journeyed to the east for their quest.
- When the star fell on Tristram (during Diablo III) many Crusaders were returning to the west.
- There were originally 427 Crusaders who journeyed to the east.
- 341 returned from the east.
- Johanna does not have an apprentice yet.
"The crusade marches on!” –Johanna
"You must quiet both mind and body in order to feel the Light. Only then shall it unleash your hidden strength." —Cleric Akkhan
"May Akarat protect me and grant me the faith to allow the Light to heal my soul." —The Crusader's Oath
"One final blow severed the great demon's head, sending it rolling before Dregan's feet. He contemplated the foul thing for a moment, then took it with him to adorn his shield." —The Chronicles of Crusader Dregan
"One clad in the Light absorbs the anger of her foes and then turns it against them." —Crusader saying
Since the first appearance of the Crusaders in Diablo III: Reaper of Souls, many talented artists have sought to do justice to the power of the Crusader. Below are eleven fantastic pieces of fan art featuring Crusaders, which were submitted by talented artists from around the world.
|"Salvation is Here" by Svenechoff
|"Faith in Light - Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls Fanart" by me-illuminated
|"Lyz Brickley - Crusader" Cosplay by Lyz Brickley
|"Fist of Heavenss" by JiHunLee
|"Female Crusader – Diablo III: Reaper of Souls" by Vablo
|"Crusader Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls" by DianaKeehl
|"Female Crusader" by Lionsketch
|"Female Crusader" by RMangano
|"Crusader" by SaraForlenza
|"Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls Contest" by DmitryGrebenkov
|"Crusader" by kkkiri
The unbreakable power of the Crusaders has left a profound mark on the mortal realms of the Diablo universe, and if you’re interested in learning more about them, make sure to check out the following related content:
- Diablo III: Book of Tyrael (Graphic Novel – 2013)
- Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (Game – 2014)
- Morbed (Novella – 2014)
- Storm of Light (Novel – 2014)
- The End of Her Journey (Short Story – 2014)
You can also dive into some official art and concepts featuring Crusaders below:
|A female Crusader, as seen in Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
|Concept art of a female Crusader
A female Crusader, as seen in Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
Images of a female Crusader, as seen in the Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Interstitials
“My apprentice could take you. And I don't even have one!”
We hope you’re enjoying our Johanna Hero Week! What is your favorite Skin or piece of art of this formidable Crusader? Let us know in the comments below!