Grab a Rod—Fishing Debuts in Diablo Immortal
Welcome back, adventurer.
Sanctuary has felt all the safer thanks to your heroics. In the meantime, you may have increased your available Stash space, tested out the Path of Blood improvements, and liberated Bilefen’s inhabitants from a plague of demonic invaders in the Perils of the Fen event.
Over the past 4 months, Diablo Immortal won the Best Mobile RPG award from the Pocket Gamer Awards and received nominations from Google Play, Apple Store Awards, The Game Awards, and D.I.C.E Awards. We have only players such as yourself to thank for these milestones—from the Diablo Immortal team to you, thank you for your continued support. On February 20, we will be sending all Diablo Immortal players a special bundle of rewards via in-game mail to show our appreciation. It consists of 3 Legendary Crests, 1 random Set Item, 1 random Legendary Item, and 6 Normal Gems. Keep an eye out!
As with previous Content Updates, there will be server maintenance starting on February 21, from 4 p.m.–6 p.m. PST for Oceania, China, East Asia, Southeast Asia, and Europe Servers, and on February 22, from 12 a.m.–2 a.m. PST for servers in the Americas. After the maintenance has concluded, all items mentioned below will be live—specific dates for any content going live afterward are provided below.
Hungering Moon Limited-Time Event
Diablo Immortal Developer Q&A Series
36 New Legendary Items
Note that the below Legendary Items are only available in Hell Difficulty VIII.
- Breaker’s Wheel (Off-Hand): Hammer of the Ancients now creates a barrier of earth that prevents enemies from entering or exiting the area it strikes.
- Dauntless Temper (Pants): Ground Stomp now calls on the power of an Ancient to appear and periodically stomp the ground around you.
- Yowl of Execration (Head): Demoralizing Roar now unleashes a primal roar that knocks back and damages enemies. Enemies knocked back into walls are also Stunned for 3 seconds.
- Riddlerue (Main Hand): When Frenzy deals a Critical Hit, your Primary Attack Speed is increased by 50% for 2 seconds.
- Routfinder (Shoulders): Sprint leaves a wind tunnel in your wake, allowing allies to pass through it to gain 30% increased Movement Speed for 2 seconds.
- Widow in Waiting (Chest): Furious Charge now also reduces enemy Movement Speed by 40% for 4 seconds.
Developer’s Note: Barbarians will gain additional zone control with Hammer of the Ancients’ earthen barrier. The earthen barrier traps enemies in a small area and creates walls that can be used to combo with Demoralizing Roar and Ground Stomp.
- Desecration’s Reprisal (Off-Hand): Consecration deals 30% increased damage to enemies suffering total loss of control.
- Hale Pilgrim (Chest): Draw and Quarter now also grants you immunity to knockback effects for 3 seconds.
- Impassible Sanctum (Pants): Shield Charge now raises a holy barricade before you instead of causing you to charge forward. This barricade moves with you, blocks enemy projectiles, and decreases all damage taken from the front by 50%.
- The Recreant (Shoulder): Sacred Chain now attaches to a single enemy, allowing you to render judgment on their soul. Once condemned, the chains will explode, dealing damage to and Stunning all nearby enemies for 4 seconds.
- The Unordained (Main Hand): Falling Sword now swings a giant sword into the ground, knocking enemies away and Stunning them for 3 seconds.
- Zealflair (Head): Sweep Attack damage increased by 10%.
Developer’s Note: For the Crusader, we are introducing an additional ranged Stun on Sacred Chain, aimed with the purpose of providing Crusaders more opportunities to start engagements. This opener can be followed up with Draw and Quarter to close the gap and Shield Charge to provide defensive group utility.
- Vatro’s Valediction (Head): Escape now also drops a trap that explodes after a short delay, dealing damage to all nearby enemies.
- Hangman’s Gambit (Shoulders): Daring Swing now immobilizes any enemies it hits, preventing them from moving or attacking until they take damage again.
- Hate Sheath (Chest): Vengeance now fully consumes you, increasing your Primary Attack Speed by 40% for 4 seconds, but you can no longer specifically target enemies.
- The Excavator (Main Hand): Impale now causes your Primary Attack to also hurl penetrating knives that deal damage to all enemies they pass through.
- Steel Orchestra (Off-Hand): Being near a Sentry increases your Primary Attack Speed by 10%.
- Scornbeak (Pants): Daring Swing now also increases your Primary Attack Speed by 30% for 4 seconds.
Developer’s Note: For the Demon Hunter, the focus is on bolstering your Primary Attack Speed. Daring Swing can increase your Primary Attack Speed while you are out exploring, while being near a Sentry can provide you with additional Primary Attack Speed while you are defending a key position.
- Chimes at Midnight (Chest): Inner Sanctuary now also grants immunity to knockbacks to allies within the area.
- Column of Shivers (Off-Hand): Wave Strike now causes your Primary Attacks to unleash an explosion, damaging nearby enemies.
- Feline Defiance (Shoulders): Mystic Strike now also increases your Primary Attack Speed by 30% for 4 seconds.
- Last Leveler (Head): Dealing damage to enemies afflicted by Exploding Palm can increase its remaining duration by 0.5 seconds, up to a maximum of 4 seconds.
- Salvation’s Sting (Legs): Flying Kick now unleashes a strong kick to a single enemy that knocks them back a large distance. The kicked enemy inflicts a short knockback and deals damage to any other enemies it comes into contact with.
- Tenebrous Grasp (Main Hand): Seven-Sided Strike now causes your Primary Attacks to conjure a spirit ally to unleash a powerful strike on your target, damaging any enemies within its path.
Developer’s Note: The Monk’s Legendary Items add additional variations to Primary Attack builds with a focus on short bursts of Primary Attack Speed from Mystic Strike. Seven-Sided Strike and Wave Strike will provide beneficial effects causing your Primary Attacks to deal additional damage.
- Crest of Rheum (Head): Command Golem now also sacrifices 10% of your current Life to increase your golem's damage by 15%.
- Dead Keen (Off-Hand): Command Golem now also deals 10% additional damage to enemies for each harmful effect they suffer from, up to a maximum of 40%.
- Natural Petrification (Shoulders): Bone Spikes now also reduces the Movement Speed of any enemies it hits by 40% for 4 seconds.
- Pleasant Venom (Main Hand): Command Golem now summons a poison golem that can leap to a target location to unleash a blastwave of corrosive acid, damaging nearby enemies and causing them to take additional damage.
- Wondrous Underworld (Chest): Wraith Form now also conjures two wraiths in random directions.
- Wraithstitch Trews (Pants): Grim Scythe now also Chills enemies to the bone, reducing their Attack and Movement Speed by 30% for 3 seconds.
Developer’s Note: The Necromancer’s Legendary Items focus on increasing the power of your Command Golem by applying harmful effects to enemies.
- Greaves of the Firmament (Pants): Disintegrate deals additional damage every 3 hits.
- Coat of the Astrum (Chest): Lightning Nova now unleashes a single, uncontrollable arc that jumps chaotically between enemies, dealing damage to any enemies it touches.
- Spars of Energy (Shoulders): Generate a charge of Teleport when you defeat an enemy. Cannot occur more often than once every 30 seconds.
- Silver Lining (Head): Black Hole now devours the power of enemies caught within it, increasing the damage you deal by 2%, up to a maximum of 10%, for 2 seconds.
- Stickle Burr (Off-Hand): When Magic Missile deals a Critical Hit, it explodes and deals additional damage to nearby enemies.
- Thistle Bloom (Main Hand): Arcane Wind now conjures a storm that grows over time, pulling in and damaging nearby enemies.
Developer’s Note: For the Wizard, Arcane Wind adds an additional gather skill to your toolkit to round up enemies so your Lightning Nova and Arcane Missiles can shred through them.
Rune System Redesign
We are simplifying how Runes function by streamlining the overall experience and providing more uses for your Runes. The Runes received from Rare and Legendary Crests are also increasing to support this reorganization.
Crests will no longer drop Ati Runes or a large variety of Common and Magic Runes. Instead, Rare Crests will now drop 4 Ast Runes and Legendary Crests will drop 1 Ast Rune.
Ast Runes can be used to craft Bound Legendary Gems at Seril the Apprentice Jeweler, just as it is currently done, but now, we've also removed the Fading Ember cost associated with crafting these Bound Legendary Gems.
Fading Embers can now be used directly at Seril to craft random Unbound Legendary Gems. These gems can be sold in Wynton’s Grand Market or used to purchase Ast Runes.
Apprentice Jewelers will now be the one-stop-shop for all your Legendary Gem needs. There is no longer a need to convert Runes to craft Legendary Gems. The costs for crafting both Bound and Unbound Legendary gems have changed to the following:
- 20 Ast Runes for a Bound 1-Star Legendary Gem of your choice
- 80 Ast Runes for a Bound 2-Star Legendary Gem of your choice
- 5 Fading Embers for 1 Ast Rune
- 100 Fading Embers for a random Unbound 1-Star Legendary Gem
- 320 Fading Embers for an Eternal Legendary Crest
- 320 Fading Embers for a random Unbound 1 to 5-Star Legendary Gem
- 400 Fading Embers for a random Unbound 2-Star Legendary Gem
To smooth out the transition and reward the time investment of players, Seril will also have several new conversion functions that are intended to convert your old currencies into the new ones at the following rates:
- 8 Common Runes for 1 Ast Rune
- 2 Magic Runes for 1 Ast Rune
- 1 Ati Rune for 3 Ast Runes
- 1 Fa Rune for 18 Fading Embers
Developer’s Note: Through community feedback, we realized that the Rune system left players with bags full of excess Runes that they would likely never be able to use. This new streamlined process will alleviate the pain points from the previous system and provide everyone with increased Gem Power rewards.
New Normal Gem Attribute
Normal Gems now have a new attribute called Refinement that increases the base attribute of the equipment slot the Normal Gem is socketed into. The increase from Refinement is a fixed percentage based on the rank of the Normal Gem and scales at a fixed percentage as your Normal Gem increases in rank, up to a maximum of Rank 10. Normal Gems of all colors provide the same increase at their respective rank.
Normal Gem Drop Update
The Hidden Lair spawn rate will now dynamically scale with server population. On most servers, this should result in the same amount or more Hidden Lairs opening in a day. You can now collect up to 9 Bound Normal Gems from Bonus Objectives and 9 Unbound Normal Gems from Hidden Lair Guardians.
The chances of finding gems will decrease with each subsequent Hidden Lair run, with the first 2 Hidden Lairs being the most efficient. The rewards section of the Hidden Lair entrance menu has been updated to indicate how to collect Bound and Unbound Normal Gems from within the Hidden Lair. The rewards will grey out once you have reached your Normal Gem allotment each day, so you can easily track if gem rewards are available before entering a Hidden Lair.
We’ve also made improvements to help you locate Hidden Lairs after they have spawned—when you start getting close to an open Hidden Lair, you will receive additional prompts and mini map indicators to guide you in the right direction.
Developer’s Note: We recognize Normal Gems are rather scarce. To help alleviate this, we are providing additional ways to obtain both Bound and Unbound Normal Gems. The goal is to provide more Normal Gems that can potentially be sold in Wynton’s Grand Market. By placing them inside Hidden Lairs, we achieve that goal while increasing the replayability of Hidden Lairs and Wilderness exploration that results from searching for them. The change to make Hidden Lairs spawn more dynamically based on server population is aimed at normalizing the supply in the market across servers of all sizes. As a product of these changes, we hope to see Normal Gems change hands through the market on an increased and consistent basis.
Essence Transfer and Extraction Improvements
All Safe Zones will now have an Essence Transfer merchant within them. The ability to extract multiple Legendary items at once can also be performed in the merchant’s menu. To do so, click or tap the Multi-Extract button in the upper corner of the menu. Another menu will appear which will allow you to select the specific items you want to extract or all of them at once.
Developer’s Note: We want to help alleviate some of the encumbrance from the Essence Mastery system. Both changes should help streamline the extraction process resulting in less time spent managing your gear.
Combat Globe Changes
The Frenzied and Charged Core combat globes—which previously dropped during the Defense of Cyrangar only—can now drop during any combat instance in Diablo Immortal.
- Frenzied Globe: Increases your Critical Hit Chance to 100% for 10 seconds.
- Charged Core: Immediately makes your Ultimate available for use.
Developer’s Note: The Frenzied and Charged Core combat globes will join the Conduit, Energy, and Quickening globes as potential drops from monsters and represent very powerful options. As such, they will drop less frequently than the three previously mentioned combat globes, but when timed right, they will certainly help turn the tide of battle in your favor.
New Activity: Fishing
Cast aside your weapon, weary adventurer, you’ve sent enough demons home to wriggle in the Hells today. A tranquil new pastime is available for you—it’s time to go Fishing!
Starting at Level 43, you can travel to the noxious marshes of Bilefen to begin The Greatest Pastime quest. This quest will start you on your path to becoming the best angler Sanctuary has seen, and most importantly, provide you with a fishing rod.
Pick Your Spot, Cast a Line
Once you’ve completed the introductory quest, you can oh-fish-ially begin your pursuit of Sanctuary’s underwater dwellers. There are three zones where you can Fish (Ashwold Cemetary, Bilefen, and the Frozen Tundra), and are notated by a fish icon on the zone map. Fishing areas are Safe zones, and you cannot be attacked by monsters while inside of them. You can only fish within a designated Fishing spot.
Before you attempt to catch any fish, you’ll want to visit a Fisher, who will also be within the Safe zone, to purchase some bait. Each attempt at Fishing will consume one piece of bait. Unlimited bait can be purchased from the Fisher, and you can hold 99 pieces in your inventory at a time, so budget your bait wisely.
Once you have your rod, some bait, and a favorite watering hole in mind, it’s time to wrangle up some fish. By tapping or clicking on the Rod icon next to your Skill buttons, you’ll choose specifically where within the Fishing spot to cast your line. After releasing the button, a timer will appear at the top of your screen, displaying white, blue, and gold colored fish icons.
As your bobber rests among the water, fish will nibble at it periodically and you’ll notice the timer will slowly begin to fill up, passing by each of the three aforementioned fish icons as it does. When you decide to reel in a catch is completely up to you, but the longer you allow your bobber to sit in the water, the higher probability you have of catching a rarer species of fish. Be sure not to deliberate over when to reel in for too long...if the timer fills up, the fish will grow restless and disappear. All caught fish will go directly into your inventory.
Developer’s Note: If you cast your fishing rod, then close the Diablo Immortal app and open it back up again, your Fishing session will conclude, and you must cast your rod again. A brief network disconnection will not conclude your Fishing session.
Reel and Deal
After you’ve reeled in a handful of fish, head back over to the nearest Fisher to exchange your hard-caught fish for rewards. There are five categories of fish: Common, Uncommon, Rare, Legendary, and Mythic, each denoted by a different coloring of the fish within your inventory. The rarer the fish, the greater the rewards you can exchange your catch for, such as items of random rarity and new aesthetics for your fishing rod.
Fill Out the Angler’s Log
There are 40 unique species of fish populating the waterways of Sanctuary. Each species has a preferred habitat and can only be caught there. Make sure to visit all the Fishing spots to see which bounties you can wrestle up from the water.
Within the Bestiary Angler’s Log section is an entry for each fish species which lists their preferred habitat, along with the number you’ve caught, the highest weight caught by you, and the highest weight caught on your server. There’s also Angler’s Log rewards for dedicated adventures to collect by catching amounts of unique fish species.
Fishing presents a new way to play Diablo Immortal and experience Sanctuary. Where might your pursuit take you?
Developer’s Note: Because Diablo Immortal is an MMORPG, we have a unique opportunity to explore the world of Sanctuary through a new lens. Fishing is our first step towards adding immersive world-based experiences that bring combat-less gameplay with social touches. Our goal was to provide a relaxing activity for Players who have achieved their personal character power goals for the day but aren't ready to log off—you still want to be part of the world of Sanctuary. There's a light-touch skill component to catching fish, and you can earn bragging rights for reeling in the biggest fish on Sanctuary.
Activity Scheduler and Calendar
With Sanctuary constantly evolving, it can become tricky to keep track of all the activities available to you on a day-to-day basis. To help players get a quick glimpse at which activities are available to them and better coordinate with their Clan and Warbands, we are adding an Activity Scheduler and Calendar to the Codex.
The Activity Scheduler is a list of custom activities that members from your Clan and Warband have scheduled. From this interface, you can sign up for activities, or schedule your own. When it’s time to start the activity, there will also be a button to quickly form a group with those that have signed up.
The Activity Calendar contains a list of all the scheduled activities in Sanctuary, the times they begin, and the rewards you can receive by doing them. It also contains any custom activities you may have signed up for with your Warband or Clan in the activity scheduler.
After the scheduled maintenance on February 22 ends and these features go live, we urge you to tinker with these new features and coordinate with your fellow Warband and Clan members to get the most value out of them.
Server Merge: Wave Three
Following Diablo Immortal’s scheduled maintenance on February 22 at 2:00 a.m. server time, Server Merges for the East Asia and Southeast Asia regions will be live for everyone. This third wave of Server Merges is meant to improve the ability for players in these regions to Party up with others regardless of the server they play on. Know that we will continue to monitor player populations across all servers and merge additional servers as needed. Here’s a complete list of all servers that will merge in wave three:
For more information on how Server Merge works, please see our previous blog where we announced the first wave of Server Merges.
Hungering Moon Limited-Time Event
Feeling underfed, the moon has doubled its demands, providing you with an upcoming opportunity to sate its seemingly endless appetite for blood!
The moonlit path you’ll take to heed your lunar overlord’s increased howl for sustenance is ready to be traversed. Players can complete up to three tasks a day starting March 2, 3:00 a.m.–March 6, 2:59 a.m. server time. Through completing tasks, you’ll gain Astrolabe Power—the power can be used to draw a Blessing of Magic or Blessing of Might, each with unique benefits, from the Astrolabe. Use the blessings to gain Moonslivers, which can be exchanged for lunar-laced rewards.
Visit here for more information on the Hungering Moon event’s mechanics.
Looking for the newest round of hotfixes and bug fixes implemented for Diablo Immortal? Check here for all-platform fixes and our known issues blog for PC-specific fixes.
Diablo Immortal Developer Q&A Series
Have questions about Diablo Immortal? We have answers. Check out our Diablo Immortal Developer Q&A series for answers to some of the community’s burning questions about the game. We will post a new set of questions and answers periodically.
We’ll see you in Sanctuary!
-The Diablo Immortal Team