Get Attuned and Face the Overlords of Outland
The next content update for Burning Crusade Classic, Overlords of Outland will be available worldwide on September 15. At that point, you’ll be able to take on two of Illidan Stormrage’s most powerful lieutenants: Lady Vashj in Serpentshrine Cavern, located in Zangarmarsh, and Kael’thas Sunstrider in The Eye, the central wing of Tempest Keep in Netherstorm. Be sure to bring a flying mount—you'll need one to reach Kael’thas secluded seat of power.
Gaining entry to those two new raids requires the completion of certain quest chains with strict requirements. Some of these chains require you to pay a visit to specific dungeons in Heroic mode—each of which have their own requirements to access. Keep in mind that some of these requirements can be bypassed by grouping up with someone who has already completed them, and others can be sidestepped by certain classes or professions.
Many of these quest chains can be started—and some even fully completed—before you reach level 70 and will reward you with powerful loot that you can put to good use when completing some of the later steps. It’s highly recommended you do most of these quest chains with a full dungeon group (one tank, one healer, three damage dealers), as many of them include visits to dungeons and elite group outdoor quests.
While you don’t necessarily need to complete the steps outlined in this section, you’ll need at least one member of your party or raid to have completed it (or have a way to bypass it). It’s a good idea to ask guildmates, check around your realm or use the Looking for Group interface to find players with these steps completed to make your journey easier.
OBTAINING THE SHADOW LABYRINTH KEY
- Loot the Shadow Labyrinth key from the chest behind Talon King Ikiss in Setthek Halls
- You may enter Setthek Halls starting at level 65
OBTAINING THE SHATTERED HALLS KEY
First, you must secure the Primed Key Mold from Smith Gorlunk in Shadowmoon Valley. Then, complete the following quests:
- Entry into the Citadel
- Grand Master Rohok
- Rohok’s Request
- Hotter than Hell
OBTAINING THE KEY TO THE ARCATRAZ
Seek out Anchorite Karja or Spymaster Thalodien (depending on your allegiance to the Aldor or Scryers) in Area 52, and complete the following quests:
- Assisting the Consortium
- Consortium Crystal Collection
- A Heap of Ethereals
- Warp-Raider Nesaad
- Request for Assistance
- Rightful Repossession
- An Audience with the Prince
- Triangulation Point One
- Triangulation Point Two
- Full Triangle
- Special Delivery to Shattrath
- How to break into the Arcatraz
- Harbinger of Doom
Tip: Rogues and Engineers can open the doors to Arcatraz, Shattered Halls, or Shadow Labyrinth through Lockpicking or by making use of Elemental Seaforium Charges.
OBTAINING THE BLACKENED URN TO SUMMON NIGHTBANE
This quest chain requires access to Karazhan before you can start it. You can learn how to get access to Karazhan in the “Required Steps” section outlined below.
Archmage Alturus awaits you outside Karazhan in Deadwind Pass to begin this chain. Complete the following quests:
- Medivh's Journal
- In Good Hands
- The Shade of Aran
- The Master's Terrace
- Digging Up the Past
- A Colleague's Aid
- Kalynna's Request
Every member of your party or raid that wishes to gain access to Serpentshrine Cavern and The Eye must complete the steps below. Gather your friends and conquer the challenges below to earn the right to face the Overlords of Outland.
GAINING ACESS TO THE BLACK MORASS DUNGEON
This quest chain can be started at level 66.
Speak to the Steward of Time oustide the Caverns of Time in Tanaris, and complete the following quests:
- To The Master's Lair
- The Caverns of Time
- Old Hillsbrad
- Taretha's Diversion
- Escape from Durnholde
- Return to Andormu
The final quest in this chain is completed inside the Black Morass dungeon. You can save it if you want and complete it alongside the quest “The Master’s Touch” for your Karazhan attunement.
- The Black Morass
OBTAINING THE MASTER'S KEY TO ENTER KARAZHAN
This quest chain can be started at level 68. You must have a flying mount to complete the steps related to The Arcatraz.
Apprentice Tasserel in Shattrath (Lower City) offers the first quest in this chain. Start there, and complete the following quests:
- Archmage Alturus
- Arcane Disturbances
- Restless Activity
- Contact from Dalaran
- Entry Into Karazhan
- The Second and Third Fragments
- This quest requires a flying mount or Flight Form to reach The Arcatraz
- The Master's Touch
- Return to Khadgar
Tip: Druids can train Flight Form at level 68 and are able to complete the steps above earlier than other classes.
OBTAINING HEROIC DUNGEON KEYS
Heroic dungeon keys require Revered reputation to purchase. Reputation for each of these factions can come from many sources. The most reliable and repeatable source of reputation is to complete level 68+ dungeons in Normal difficulty for each of the factions. You must procure the following Heroic Dungeon Keys to proceed:
- Flamewrought Key – Requires Revered reputation with Honor Hold / Thrallmar
- Earn Reputation from Shattered Halls, or Hellfire Peninsula quests
- Reservoir Key – Requires Revered reputation with Cenarion Expedition
- Earn Reputation from Steamvaults, or Zangarmarsh quests
- Auchenai Key – Requires Revered reputation with Lower City
- Earn reputation from Shadow Labyrinth, or Terokkar Forest quests
- Warpforged Key – Requires Revered reputation with The Sha’tar
- Earn reputation from The Botanica, The Mechanar or The Arcatraz
Once you’ve completed the steps above, you’re ready to take on the final challenges that will lead you to Serpentshrine Cavern and The Eye.
GAINING ACCESS TO SERPENTSHRINE CAVERN
This quest requires level 70 and possession of the Reservoir Key as well as at least one person in possession of the Blackened Urn to summon Nightbane.
Complete the following quest:
- The Cudgel of Kar’desh
- Pick up this quest inside Slave Pens in Coilfang Reservoir – Heroic Mode only
- This raid quest requires you to defeat and loot Nightbane in Karazhan and Gruul the Dragonkiller in Gruul’s Lair
After turning in the quest, you’ll be ready to enter Serpentshrine Cavern.
GAINING ACCESS TO TEMPEST KEEP
This quest chain can be started at level 68. Earthmender Sophurus (Alliance) at the Wildhammer Stronghold in Shadowmoon Valley, and Earthmender Splinthoof (Horde) at the Shadowmoon Village in Shadowmoon Valley can help get you started on the journey. This chain includes several elite (group) quests, so be sure to bring a few friends along.
Complete the following quests:
- The Hand of Gul'dan
- Enraged Spirits of Fire and Earth
- Enraged Spirits of Water
- Enraged Spirits of Air
- Oronok Torn-heart
- I Was A Lot of Things...
- A Lesson Learned
- The Cipher of Damnation - Truth and History
- Grom'tor, Son of Oronok
- The Cipher of Damnation - Grom'tor's Charge
- The Cipher of Damnation - The First Fragment Recovered
- Ar'tor, Son of Oronok
- Demonic Crystal Prisons
- Lohn'goron, Bow of the Torn-heart
- The Cipher of Damnation - Ar'tor's Charge
- The Cipher of Damnation - The Second Fragment Recovered
- Borak, Son of Oronok
- Of Thistleheads and Eggs...
- The Bundle of Bloodthistle
- To Catch A Thistlehead
- The Shadowmoon Shuffle
- What Illidan Wants, Illidan Gets...
- The Cipher of Damnation - Borak's Charge
- The Cipher of Damnation - The Third Fragment Recovered
- The Cipher of Damnation
After completing the last quest in this chain, you’ll receive a letter from Khadgar. Pick up the missive from a nearby mailbox and head over to Shattrath—A’dal awaits you with the final steps required to gain entry into The Eye. Keep in mind that A’dal will not offer the follow-up quest chain until you reach level 70, even if you’ve completed the previous chain up to “The Cipher of Damnation”.
Complete the following quests:
- The Tempest Key
- Trial of the Naaru: Mercy (Heroic Shattered Halls)
- This dungeon quest requires level 70 and possession of the Flamewrought Key
- Trial of the Naaru: Strength (Heroic Steamvaults / Shadow Labyrinth)
- This dungeon quest requires level 70 and possession of the Reservoir Key and the Auchenai Key
- Trial of the Naaru: Tenacity (Heroic Arcatraz)
- This dungeon quest requires level 70 and possession of the Warpforged Key
- Trial of the Naaru: Magtheridon (Raid)
- This raid quest requires you to defeat Magtheridon in his lair underneath Hellfire Citadel
Completing the final Trial of Naaru quest will award you The Tempest Key, which allows you to enter The Eye.
Upon being granted access to both Serpentshrine Cavern and The Eye, your character will also be bestowed the title “Champion of the Naaru” the next time you enter Shattrath City. Congratulations!
The Overlords of Outland await those brave enough to face them. One can never be too prepared. . . .