What’s Playing on Battle.net: News and notable events in late April 2023
Whether you’re looking for the latest news from Sanctuary or getting ready to drop into the BlackCell Sector, you can check out recent beats from all of your favorite games below.
Prepare to slam Diablo IV’s servers, squad up with friends in Call of Duty, learn about World of Warcraft’s upcoming patch, and more.
Every two weeks, we help you catch up on all things Battle.net by highlighting new content, developer updates, and “don’t miss” occasions to help you hit important dates and maximize each in-game moment.
Navigate by franchise
To get Sanctuary ready for June 6, we’re enlisting your demon-cleansing services for one final task. From May 12–May 14, everyone is invited to aid the mortal realm against the armies of the Burning Hells to help us test the durability of our servers.
After the conclusion of the recent Early Access and Open Beta weekends, the development team read through player feedback, reviewed gameplay data, and implemented changes across the game to get Sanctuary launch-ready.
Defeating great evil requires great skill; thankfully, members of the Diablo IV community are here to teach you about all of Sanctuary’s ins and hellish outs.
World of Warcraft
No longer will you have to wish your Horde heart could find a home with the amazing Alliance heroes you just cleared a random raid with; starting on May 2, we’re blurring the faction lines for guilds, giving players the ability to create and join same-realm guilds regardless of where your allegiance lies.
Prepare to dive deeper into the mysteries of the Black Dragonflight, meet more allies and foes, and discover treasures and rewards as you pursue your enemies into the perilous new zone arriving in Embers of Neltharion.
Millennia ago, Neltharion established Aberrus, a secret laboratory where he conducted world-altering experiments. Now, it’s under attack from all sides as forces seeking to claim the Earth-Warder’s legacy search for any power that remains. As a champion of Azeroth, you’ll have to venture into the shadows and ensure Neltharion’s dark power doesn’t fall into the wrong hands.
Warcraft Arclight Rumble
Lead Engineer Andy Lim breaks down how the server team harnesses database tech, different tools, and copious amounts of math to store experience in-game and compute each Mini’s level.
Call of Duty
There’s nothing like having a trusted Operator watching your back, especially when deploying into Warzone 2.0. From now until the end of the season, you can earn unique in-game rewards by inviting up to three Recruits and completing partnered challenges, contracts, and missions.
- Since Overwatch 2’s launch, the team has penalized over 100,000 accounts worldwide for using unauthorized hacks and hardware in an effort to combat cheating
- To encourage player skill development, new Competitive modes will be trialed each season
- The team is keeping a close eye on Lifeweaver’s Life Grip ability to prevent players from griefing their allies by pulling them into pitfalls
- Everyone is encouraged to file reports when they experience disruptive behavior; each report matters!
Learn more about how developers are pushing for positive player experiences in the latest Defense Matrix blog.
- New changes were implemented during Season Three to minimize skill differences between Competitive players in each role across teams
- These adjustments improved skill-based matchmaking and sped up Competitive queue times without sacrificing match quality
- Steps are being taken to improve other aspects of the matchmaking system, including reducing uncertainty regarding competitive ratings and skill tiers
Check out this blog to learn about the different ways Overwatch 2’s designers and engineers plan to iterate on the matchmaker in future seasons.
A fresh batch of avatars has just arrived in the desktop app, so you can finally update that Wrecking Ball icon to show off his new pair of delightful little goggles to your entire friends list.