Gunfight Returns in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II Season 03
Grab a friend and prepare to battle against another Duo when Gunfight returns in Season 03 of Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® II, launching on April 12.
In this round-based match, players must use randomly assigned Loadouts to overcome the opposition and secure the round win. And with just one life per round, every move counts.
Whether you need to brush up on the returning mode or this is your first 2v2 duel, read on for the rules of engagement and tips for achieving victory.
In Gunfight, two teams of two compete in a round-based match. There are no respawns and no health regeneration, and all players are assigned the same randomized Loadout at the start of each round.
The assigned Loadout changes every two rounds, and you never know what you’re going to get; you may be trading shots from afar with Sniper Rifles one round, then rushing in with Shotguns the next. Each Loadout includes a lethal and tactical equipment.
In other words, take what’s given and make it work.
In each round, players have 40 seconds to eliminate the enemy team. If time runs out and both teams are still alive, an Overtime Flag will spawn on the map for ten seconds. The first team to capture the flag or eliminate the enemy team wins the round. If neither team wins during Overtime, the team with the most health wins.
The first team to win six rounds wins the match.
The Gunfight Playlist will feature four close-quarters environments suited for 2v2 play: Alley, Blacksite, Exhibit, and Shipment.
Alley: Somewhere in the Al Mazrah region, a small marketplace is cleared out as strike teams prepare to go in, weapons hot.
Blacksite: A training ground for Operators wanting to return to the warzone. Its location is classified. Blacksite will also become the new Gulag in Call of Duty®: Warzone™ 2.0 Season 03.
Exhibit: Another Gunfight locale among the core four at launch.
Shipment: Iconic and perfect for 2v2 play, Operators have been battling on Shipment since its introduction in the Season 01 Reloaded update.
Start from Scratch in Gunfight: OSP
Season 03 will also introduce the game mode variant Gunfight: OSP (On-Site Procurement). In this version of Gunfight, Operators load into the map with nothing but their fists. Procure weapons and equipment placed throughout the map and eliminate the enemy.
Weapon locations remain consistent through every match, so you’ll always find an Assault Rifle or a Sidearm in the same place, though the exact weapon may change.
Learn the locations of your favorite items on each Gunfight map to get the advantage in future matches. Don’t underestimate the power of equipment, either; just be sure that when the enemy comes knocking, you’re done scavenging and ready to fight.
Top Gunfight Tips
1. Keep up the pressure. With just 40 seconds on the clock, there’s no time to waste. Don’t let your enemies determine the flow of the round; form an attack plan and execute it with haste. By forcing enemies to react to your actions rather than the other way around, you gain better control of the match, increasing your chances for success.
2. Punish predictable plays. Sometimes you’ll encounter a Duo who are extremely effective…at just one type of play. If, for example, your opponents are strong slayers who consistently rush the center of the map, try flanking out in different directions and eliminating them with a pincer movement. Find the flaw and exploit it.
3. Cover and flank… Have one player go loud right at the start of the round while the other flanks to either side in an attempt to eliminate enemies rushing after the more obvious teammate.
4. …or go straight through. Sometimes all-out aggression does make for the best play. Keep your opponents on their backfoot by charging straight at them the moment the round begins. Best used when mixed in with other opening strategies.
5. Bait the Overtime Flag. It doesn’t take long to capture the Overtime Flag, but sometimes it’s best to let the enemy try for it first. This is especially effective when your side has more health, meaning that you’ll win the round if the flag isn’t captured in time. This forces their hand, so get them when they run in for the capture.
6. Rat in a maze. Enemy on your tail? Get your teammate to move up ahead of you and take the enemy down the path to their position. Now see how they do against both of you.
7. Watch your back. On maps this small, it’s rarely a good idea to hunker down and wait for enemy movement. Even in the 40-second round limit, fast-moving Operators can circle around their opponents to attack from behind. For this reason, it’s best to stay on the move and use cover only when you need it in a fight.
8. Communicate. With six rounds needed to win the match, there’s plenty of time to strategize attacks and counterplays as the rounds progress. The best Duos will use the downtime they have to formulate and execute a plan for each round, with the ability to pivot as needed. The rounds go by fast, so communicate clearly and keep it brief. Even simple plans will overcome an unprepared enemy.
© 2023 Activision Publishing, Inc. ACTIVISION, CALL OF DUTY, CALL OF DUTY WARZONE, and MODERN WARFARE are trademarks of Activision Publishing, Inc. All other trademarks and trade names are the property of their respective owners.
For more information, please visit www.callofduty.com and www.youtube.com/callofduty, and follow @Activision and @CallofDuty on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.