WoW Classic: Descend Into the Depths of Blackwing Lair
In the dark recesses of Blackrock Mountain’s peak, Nefarian, the eldest son of Deathwing, conducts some of his most awful experimentation, controlling mighty beings like puppets and combining the eggs of different dragonflights with horrific results. Should he prove successful, even darker pursuits rest on the horizon.
The ominous depths of Blackwing Lair are waiting for those brave enough to face its dangers. Gather your staunchest allies and prepare to undertake a treacherous journey into the heart of the mountain to reap the treasures within.
Raid Bosses: 8
Location: Burning Steppes
How to Get There
Blackwing Lair is located at the very height of Blackrock Spire. You can enter the mountain from either the Burning Steppes or through Searing Gorge.
One does not simply walk into Blackwing Lair. One must become attuned first.
Head toward Blackrock Spire and take the passageway just to the right. Here, you’ll need to fight your way through some of the Scarshield Legion to get to the Scarshield Quartermaster. Once you kill him, you’ll be able to loot Blackhand’s Command. Right-clicking it will bring up the quest Blackhand’s Command.
The quest will send you into Upper Blackrock Spire to access the Orb of Command located behind General Drakkisath’s throne. You can either have your group distract him, or just kill him to get him out of the way.
You’ll be able to access an additional alternate entrance within Upper Backrock Spire after Warchief Rend Blackhand has been defeated. You’ll need to be in a raid group to enter.
Face the Black Dragonflight
8 bosses await within Blackwing Lair, each with their own challenges to face and strategies you’ll need to employ to defeat them. You’ll need to coordinate closely with your raid team to be victorious.
- Razorgore the Untamed: Razorgore is tasked with protecting and cultivating various black dragon eggs secreted away in Blackwing Lair.
- Vaelastrasz the Corrupt: Having confronted Nefarian and losing to him in battle, Vaelastrasz has been corrupted and forced to fight Nefarian’s enemies.
- Broodlord Lashlayer: Lashlayer is a drakonid of the black dragonflight. Even though drakonid are not true dragons, the dragonflights often use them as frontline soldiers.
- Firemaw, Ebonroc, and Flamegore: As members of the black dragonflight, each of these imposing dragons are under the command of Nefarian, but ultimately owe their loyalty to Deathwing.
- Chromaggus: A unique chromatic monster created by Nefarian, Chromaggus can harness the power of the various dragonflights against its enemies.
- Nefarian: The lord of Blackrock Spire, Nefarian is a member of the black dragonflight, the eldest son of Deathwing, and creator of the chromatic dragonflight.
Dressing to Impress
Players will be able to continue their pursuit of their Tier 2 set and their associated bonuses in Blackwing Lair, including bracers, belts, boots, gloves, shoulders, and chests.
- Druid: Stormrage Raiment
- Hunter: Dragonstalker Armor
- Mage: Netherwind Regalia
- Paladin: Judgement Armor
- Priest: Vestments of Transcendence
- Rogue: Bloodfang Armor
- Shaman: The Ten Storms
- Warlock: Nemesis Raiment
- Warrior: Battlegear of Wrath
Tier 2 helms can be acquired in Onyxia’s Lair from Onyxia, and legs can be earned in Molten Core from Ragnaros. May the DKP be with you.
You’ll also find some additional notable items such as the Claw of the Black Drake, Chromatically Tempered Sword, and Dragonbreath Hand Cannon. You’ll also be able to loot Elementium Ore from the Blackwing Technician. This can be smelted to make an Elementium Bar, which is needed as a part of the quest line to forge the legendary sword Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker (yes, we said it).
As with his sister Onyxia, you’ll be able to loot the Head of Nefarian when you defeat him, which will begin a quest and allow you to spread word of your victory.