Kael'thas Hero Week
"I don’t suffer setbacks. I revel in them."
- Kael’thas Sunstrider, The Sun King
Like all Blood Elves, Prince Kael’thas was transformed by the fall of Quel’thalas. Desperate to save his people from being consumed by their magical addiction, he joined forces with the Burning Legion and now lords over Tempest Keep.
Kael’thas has had a long and complex history within the Warcraft universe, and in Heroes of the Storm, he takes on the role of a formidable assassin Hero who specializes in fire magic. He can empower his spells and create powerful combos that and will strike fear into the heart of minions and Heroes alike. He is a master of his craft, and someone that you’ll want by your side as you strike out at your enemies in the Nexus!
For an even more in-depth look into this iconic Warcraft Hero and his abilities, make sure to check out Kael'thas's Hero Page!
"By fire be purged!"
The starting skin for Kael’thas in Heroes of the Storm shows off the Sun King in all his supreme glory!
Step into an electrifying alternative universe with Kael’thas’s newest Skin: StormPunk Kael’thas!
- StormPunk Kael’thas - On some worlds, technology and magic are not so different. Those who master both, like Lord Kael'thas, can create both wonders and terrors beyond your imagination.
The original concept art for StormPunk Kael'thas
Eager to show off your mastery of fire magic? Look no further than Kael’thas’s Master Skin! Once you reach Level 10 with the Kael’thas, you’ll be able to purchase his Master Skin with Gold!
- Master Kael’thas - Only the finest of robes and armor may adorn the Sun King. His majesty and brilliance must shine forth like the sun itself.
The original concept art for Master Kael'thas
Check out the video below for a look at some of these Skins and Tints close-up!
"My people will be avenged."
- Kael’thas Sunstrider, The Sun King
- Prince Kael'thas Sunstrider was a master mage, one of the Council of Six, the high council of the Kirin Tor, in the mage capital of Dalaran.
- Kael'thas had feelings for Jaina Proudmoore, but they were never reciprocated. He soon discovered a secret romance between her and Prince Arthas Menethil. This chagrin would color the later battles he had with the fallen prince.
- Although heir to Quel'Thalas, it wasn't until his father's death during Scourge attacks in the Third War that Kael'thas returned to Silvermoon, the high elven capital.
- Renaming the remnants of his beleaguered people blood elves, in honor of the fallen, Kael'thas was dismayed to discover that the blood elves suffered from an addiction to magic.
- Kael'thas set off to try and protect his remaining people from the rampaging Scourge. He soon encountered the night elves Maiev Shadowsong and Tyrande Whisperwind. In exchange for helping get his people to safety, he agreed to help them in their efforts to capture a fugitive named Illidan.
- Together, they tracked Illidan down to the ruins of Dalaran, where he sought to use the Eye and destroy the Lich King. His efforts were thwarted, and Illidan fled to Outland, hoping to escape Kil'jaeden's wrath. Maiev followed Illidan to Outland, to capture her quarry.
- During a mission, Kael'thas accepted help from the naga Lady Vashj and was promptly imprisoned for treason by Garithos.
- Lady Vashj helped Kael’thas to escape, and told him that her master, Illidan Stormrage, could help find a cure for the blood elves' addiction. Kael'thas left Silvermoon in the hands of Lor'themar Theron and set out for the shattered world of Outland where Illidan was based.
- Discovering that Illidan had been captured, Kael'thas' and Vashj's forces set out to free him. Certain that the blood elves would die without Illidan's assistance, Kael'thas agreed to serve the Betrayer.
- Armed with this new found knowledge, Kael'thas sent a lone representative, Grand Magister Rommath, back to Azeroth to teach the blood elves of Quel'Thalas how to siphon magic and sate their addiction.
- Back in Outland, Illidan, Lady Vashj, Akama, and Kael'thas worked together to conquer Outland from the Burning Legion, but their triumph was marred by the appearance of Kil'jaeden.
- Angered at Illidan's previous failure to take down the Lich King, Kil'jaeden ordered Illidan to return to Azeroth and complete his task, and Kael’thas and Vashj joined him in Northrend.
- As Arthas Menethil--champion of the Lich King--landed in Northrend to help his master, the armies of Prince Kael'thas awaited him, seeking revenge for the defilement of their beloved kingdom.
- Illidan and his minions were ultimately unable to stop Arthas from merging with the Lich King and fled back to Outland.
- Time passed, and the blood elves allied with the Horde and awaited the day they could make the pilgrimage to Outland and unite with their Prince. But Kael'thas had turned to darker forces, allying instead with the Burning Legion.
- Kil'jaeden discovered that Kael'thas proved more malleable than Illidan. He was easily manipulated into a plan to summon Kil'jaeden himself into the world through the Sunwell, a fount of mystical power.
- Kael'thas moved to claim Tempest Keep, capturing its guardian, M'uru, and sending the naaru back to Silvermoon to be siphoned of his magical energy.
- Mad with his new found surge of power, Kael'thas continued to work for the Burning Legion, siphoning the energies of the Twisting Nether with great manaforges, until a group of adventurers defeated him.
- Although he was defeated in Tempest Keep, Kael'thas managed to escape and returned to Silvermoon City. He was a shadow of his former self. His body corrupted by fel magic and mind intent on harnessing the latent powers of the Sunwell to summon his dark master Kil'jaeden to Azeroth.
- Kael'thas assaulted Silvermoon City itself, stealing M'uru and taking over the Isle of Quel'Danas, home of the Sunwell.
- Kael'thas' efforts were finally thwarted by a group of adventurers aligned with the Shattered Sun Offensive.
"Selama ashal'anore!" –Kael’thas
“The sun lights my path.” –Kael’thas
Since the first appearance of the Kael’thas in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, many talented artists have sought to do justice to powerful mage. Below are ten fantastic pieces of fan art featuring Kael’thas, which were submitted by talented artists from around the globe.
|"Kael’thas Sunstrider" by Angju||"Kael’thas Sunstrider" Cosplay by Shushunya|
|"Kael’thas" by liuhao726|
|"Prince Kael’thas Sunstrider" by pulyx||"Blood Elf" by Unknown Artist||"For Now" by Heather Martin (Dawnshower)||"Kael’thas" by startime2|
|"Kael'thas'" by liuhao726|
|"The Eye" by Sandara Tang (Sandara)||"Kael’thas Sunstrider" by Jeremy Sun (Sun)|
Kael’thas’s legacy has left a profound mark on the Warcraft universe, and if you’re interested in learning more about him, make sure to check out the following related content:
- Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (Game – 2003)
- World of Warcraft (Game – 2004
- Road to Damnation (Short Story – 2006)
- Tides of Darkness (Novel – 2007)
- Beyond the Dark Portal (Novel – 2008)
- Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (Novel – 2009)
- World of Warcraft: Official Magazine (2009)
- Blood of the Highborne (Short Story – 2014)
You can also dive into some official art and concepts featuring Kael'thas' below:
|Kael’thas, as seen in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne||Concept art of Kael’thas Sunstrider|
Kale’thas’s evolution within the World of Warcraft
|Concept art of Kael’thas Sunstrider||Kael’thas, Akama, and Lady Vashj, as seen in a World of Warcraft CInematic|
“My demise accomplishes nothing. Let's see what yours does.”
We hope you’re enjoying our Kael’thas Hero Week! What is your favorite Skin or piece of art of this formidable Blood Elf? Let us know in the comments below!
Previous Hero Week Blogs:
|Kael'thas'||Sylvanas||The Lost Vikings|