Jaina Hero Week
"I hate resorting to violence!"
- Jaina Proudmoore, Archmage
Jaina Proudmoore is an accomplished wizard, and the current leader of the wizards of the Kirin Tor. Once the apprentice of the Archmage Antonidas, Jaina led the survivors of Lordaeron to Kalimdor and founded the city of Theramore, which she ruled until its destruction. Now, she serves the Alliance as a powerful voice fighting for reason and diplomacy.
Jaina has had a long and impactful history within the Warcraft universe, and in Heroes of the Storm, she takes on the role of a powerful Assassin who excels at slowing and controlling the opposition, while laying waste to her enemies through a library of frost spells. She is just the Hero you want by your side when you’re trying to defend your allies in the Nexus!
For an even more in-depth look into this iconic Warcraft Hero and her abilities, make sure to check out Jaina’s Hero Page!
- Jaina’s abilities Chill her targets, slowing them and causing them to take more damage. You can leverage this to Chill to slow the movement speed of enemies chasing after her, or to secure a takedown on a fleeing enemy.
- The “Water Elemental” [R2] can be retargeted by pressing R and selecting a different enemy to focus.
- Use “Frostbolt” [Q] as a way to disrupt opponents from channeling important map objectives like the tribute on Cursed Hallow.
"My magic will tear you apart!"
Jaina’s starting skin in Heroes of the Storm captures the very essence of this resourceful master of the arcane!
Feast your eyes on Jaina’s stunning newest alternative skin, Tempest Jaina.
- Tempest Jaina - The Tempest Regalia's origins have been lost to time, but rumor has it Tydormu of the Bronze Dragonflight may impart its secrets... for the right price.
Eager to show off your mastery of Jaina’s magic in-game? Once you reach Level 10, you’ll be able to purchase Jaina’s Master Skin with Gold!
- Master Jaina - First worn by the great champions who ventured into the Molten Core to defeat Ragnaros, the Arcanist Regalia has become a symbol of mages who have mastered the Arcane.
The original concept art for Master Jaina!
Check out the video below for a look at Jaina in action!
(Video) Heroes of the Storm Feature Trailer - BlizzCon 2014
- Jaina Proudmoore, Archmage
- Jaina first appeared in-game in 2002 with the release of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos.
- Apples and cheese are Jaina's favorite snack.
- She was the daughter of Daelin Proudmoore, ruler of Kul Tiras and grand admiral of the Alliance during the Second War. Derek Proudmoore, her brother, died during the Second War, burned to death along with his shipmates when their ship was attacked by one of the red dragons the Horde had enslaved.
- Jaina began studying magic in Dalaran while she was still a child, and eventually became the apprentice of Dalaran's ruler, Archmage Antonidas.
- When the plague of undeath began spreading through the Eastern Kingdoms, Jaina was asked to investigate it along with Arthas Menethil, crown prince of Lordaeron. The two had originally met while they were children; as they grew older, they became romantically involved for a short while before breaking off their engagement.
- Another prince fell in love with Jaina during her magical studies in Dalaran: Kael'thas Sunstrider, heir to the throne of Quel'Thalas, the high elf kingdom. Although he eventually courted her, he had little success in winning her regard. When it became clear to Kael'thas that Jaina had given her heart to Arthas, Kael'thas reacted with jealousy and grief.
- As Jaina and Arthas investigated the plague, Arthas became increasingly desperate and ruthless in his efforts to halt its spread and track down whoever was responsible. When Arthas ordered his soldiers to slaughter the people of Stratholme -- many of whom might not yet have been infected -- that was the last straw for Jaina: she parted ways with him rather than watch him carry out such a terrible deed. Afterwards, she returned to find the city in flames and its streets filled with corpses.
- It was also in Stratholme's ruins that Medivh, the Last Guardian, came to Jaina and told her to lead Lordaeron's survivors west to Kalimdor. She followed his counsel, and in time, her Alliance forces clashed with the Horde, whom Medivh had also directed to Kalimdor. Medivh appeared to Jaina and Thrall, the Horde's warchief, and explained that the Alliance and Horde needed to band together in order to defeat the demonic armies of the Burning Legion, which threatened the entire world of Azeroth. Setting aside their differences, Jaina and Thrall worked together to delay the Legion's advance while night elf druids prepared one last defense: a powerful explosion of magic that destroyed most of the Legion's forces on Kalimdor. In the years thereafter, she would work towards peace between the Horde and the Alliance.
- Jaina was also important to Grom Hellscream's heroic defeat of the pit lord Mannoroth -- a defeat that freed the Horde from its legacy of demonic corruption. Before going with Thrall to confront Mannoroth, Grom had fallen under the Legion's influence. Jaina and Thrall worked together to cleanse him of the corruption, using a mixture of human and orc magic.
- Jaina founded the nation of Theramore, and Thrall began establishing a new homeland for the Horde in Kalimdor. However, Thrall soon discovered that human forces had begun attacking the Horde. Further investigation revealed that Jaina's father and his Kul Tiras forces were behind the attacks. Jaina tried to convince her father to stop the attacks, but to no avail: he hated orcs and believed they should all be exterminated. In the end, Jaina refused to join forces with him against the Horde, and her father was killed in battle.
- After Arthas took up the mantle of the Lich King, Jaina sought to find a way to free him, but the spirits trapped inside the Lich King’s runeblade, Frostmourne, warned her that the Arthas she'd once loved could not be redeemed. The Lich King had to be destroyed, and someone else would need to take his place in order to maintain control over the Scourge, his vast undead army.
- Jaina once secretly met with Baine Bloodhoof after his father Cairne was killed. She discretely provided him with Theramore gold to help fund his military efforts to reclaim Thunder Bluff and defeat the Grimtotem tribe.
- Later, Garrosh Hellscream -- now acting warchief -- attacked Theramore with a Horde army. In response the Alliance sent reinforcements to Theramore, and then Garrosh pulled the Horde forces back and then proceed to use a mana bomb on Theramore. Almost everyone in Theramore at the time died, including multiple significant Alliance heroes. Only Jaina is spared, and that was only because she was shoved through a portal by Rhonin, Archmage of the Kirin Tor, just before the bomb went off.
- Furious and grieving, Jaina used a magical artifact to augment her (already quite impressive) spellcasting abilities, and she prepared to annihilate the city of Orgrimmar with a colossal tidal wave. Two people intervened: the blue dragon Kalecgos (with whom Jaina began to share a romantic relationship) and Thrall. These two people convinced Jaina that she doesn't want to become as ruthless, as monstrous, as Garrosh or Arthas. After some consideration, she spared Orgrimmar. Later, she went on to tell Thrall that she will no longer be an advocate for peace, not as long as Garrosh lead the Horde.
- The magi of the Kirin Tor declared Jaina an archmage and made her their leader due to her strength of character and the strength of her magic. It was also the fulfillment of a prophecy.
- After Garrosh's defeat at the Siege of Orgrimmar, Jaina urged the victorious Varian to seize this moment and dismantle the Horde. Instead of doing so, however, Varian acknowledged the Horde's new warchief, Vol'jin, and departed Orgrimmar in peace.
"You asked for it!" –Jaina
"Shh, I'm trying to think here." –Jaina
"All I ever wanted was to study." –Jaina
Since the first in-game appearance of Jaina in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, many talented artists have sought to do justice to this powerful mage. Below are eleven fantastic pieces of fan art featuring Jaina, which were submitted by talented artists from around the world.
|"Jaina Proudmoore" by Dmitriy Prozorov (Tamplier)|
|"Jaina Proudmoore" by Keikei Day||"Fall of Arthas" by breathing2004|
|"Jaina" by 杜文君 (wuya)|
|"Jaina" by Beili Ren (Drac)||Mists of Pandaria Launch (Photo: Tony Hsu)||"Hearthstone Title Art" by Breathing2004||San Diego Comic Con 2012 (Photo: Tony Hsu)|
|"No more pain" by chenbo|
|"Wrath of Jaina" by hao liu (10z)||"Jaina Proudmoore" by Breathing2004|
Jaina Proudmoore’s heroism and steadfast resolve have had a long and impactful history within the Warcraft universe. If you’re interested in learning more about this powerful leader of the Kirin Tor, make sure to check out the following related content:
- Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (Game – 2002)
- Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (Game – 2003)
- World of Warcraft (Game – 2004)
- World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game (Game – 2005)
- Road to Damnation (Short Story – 2006)
- Cycle of Hatred (Novel – 2006)
- Tides of Darkness (Novel – 2007)
- Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (Novel – 2009)
- Warcraft Legends Vol. #5 (Graphic Novel – 2009)
- World of Warcraft Comics (Comic – 2010)
- The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm (Novel – 2010)
- The Blood of Our Fathers (Short Story – 2011)
- Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War (Novel – 2012)
- Dawn of the Aspects (Novel – 2013)
- War Crimes (Novel – 2014)
- Jaina Proudmoore (World of Warcraft Character Page)
You can also dive into some official art and concepts featuring Jaina below:
|Jaina and Arthas, as seen in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos||Jaina, as seen in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos|
Jaina’s evolution within the World of Warcraft
|Jaina, as seen in World of Warcraft||Jaina and Varian Wrynn, as seen in a World of Warcraft Cinematic|
"Wait, is that a white hair? I hope that's not a bad sign."
We hope you’re enjoying our chilling Jaina Hero Week! What else are you looking forward to learning about this Archmage? Let us know in the comments below!
Previous Hero Week Blogs: