Chen Hero Week
"I bring Pandamonium!"
- Chen Stormstout, Legendary Brewmaster
To be a Brewmaster is to be an explorer, a lover of nature, and when the need arises; a powerful fighter. For years Chen Stormstout has wandered the world of Azeroth in search of rare ingredients, stirring stories, and of course, good brew, and now the wonders of the Nexus await him.
The Legendary Chen Stormstout hails from the Warcraft universe, and in Heroes of the Storm, Chen takes on the role of a highly mobile melee Warrior who specializes in an oddball playstyle that allows him to fluidly dodge in and out of combat and deal damage to his foes while also defending his friends and family. This powerful pandaren is definitely a Hero that you want by your side as you explore the Nexus!
For an even more in-depth look into this iconic Warcraft Hero and his abilities, make sure to check out Chen Stormstout’s Hero Page!
- Chen’s “Fortifying Brew” [D] also provides him a shield when using this Trait. Use it as a way to mitigate small amounts of damage heading towards you as the resource bar is filled!
- “Wandering Keg” [R] can be used as a wonderful peeling tool. Use this Heroic Ability to keep enemy heroes away from your squishy allies.
- If possible, hit opponents with “Keg Smash” [W] before using “Breath of Fire” [E]. The extra damage could mean the difference between a kill or the enemy escaping!
"Ancient pandaren proverb: Pandren brew is a moment on the lips, and a lifetime of hits and flips."
Chen has wandered far and wide, but he’s already ready for a good brew or a fight! His starting skin in Heroes of the Storm ensures that you’ll be prepared for anything when you explore the Nexus!
The history we know has been reimagined in Chen’s newest alternative skin, which begs the question – what would Azeroth have been like in a world where Chen served Lei Shen, the Thunder King?
- Warmaster Chen - The Warmasters serve as the unbreakable front line of Lei Shen's Grand Army. Once the Kaldorei are broken before him, the Well of Eternity will belong to the Thunder King forever.
The original concept art for Warmaster Chen!
"To master yourself you must know yourself."
- Chen, Legendary Brewmaster
- Chen Stormstout first appeared in 2003 with the release of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. The pandaren race actually started as a 2002 April Fool’s joke which announced a so-called “5th race” for Warcraft III.
- Chen was born and raised on the Wandering Isle, a massive landmass on the back of the giant turtle Shen-zin Su. There, he developed his superior fighting skills and the desire to explore and discover new lands (and new ingredients for his legendary brews) like the traveling pandaren who left Pandaria thousands of years past.
- Chen's wanderlust led him into adventure after adventure, from the creation of the wildly popular Brewfest event to the very founding of Durotar, where he fought along with the re-formed Horde to establish it in its new home.
- Chen wrote letters about his adventures to his niece, Li Li, and those letters inspired her to explore her home and eventually depart it in search of further adventures
- Years later, along with his niece, Li Li, Chen embarked on a quest that led him to the mystical Pearl of Pandaria, and with the help of the artifact, he visited his ancestors' home, Pandaria, for the first time. Not long after, the Horde and the Alliance discovered the continent and rekindled their conflict, placing Chen (once again!) squarely in the middle of history.
- During the events of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, Chen asked Rexxar to hunt down a number of ingredients for a new brew that Chen was working on. After Rexxar succeeded in this task, Chen created the brew and offered some to Rexxar as a sample, but when Rexxar tried it, he asked if Chen was trying to kill him.
- Deciding the recipe needed further work, Chen put his brewing aside for the time being and joined Rexxar and Rokhan on their adventures during the founding Durotar.
- Years later, Chen would incite the creation of Brewfest!
- Chen can be seen in the World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria cinematic:
"Is trouble brewing?" –Chen
"Fistful of flavor!" –Chen
"I’m not trolling you. I leave that to Vol’jin." –Chen
"All you can eat? Challenge accepted." –Chen
"I hear the most amazing stories here in the Nexus." –Chen
"May your spirit be raised, and always raise your spirits." –Chen
"Oh yeah! This stuff'll put hair all over you." –Chen
"There is no greater joy than walking the world, writing your story. It is the wanderer's way." –Chen>
Since the first appearance of Chen Stormstout in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, many talented artists have illustrated him and his pandaren kin. Below are fourteen fantastic pieces of fan art featuring Chen and other skilled pandaren, which were submitted by talented artists from around the world.
|"Martial Competition" by 徐超淵 (Yuan)|
|"Lao Chen" by chen (beini)||"Herocraft" by hao liu (10z)|
|"When I Was in Durotar" by linxz|
|"This is MY Noodle!" by Lizc||"Pandaren Brewmaster"
by Josh Chodorow (TheFool)
|"Stairs of Pandaren Temple"
by Ilya Salnikov (Storyteller)
|"Sound of Soul" by hao liu (10z)|
|"The Brew Story of Chen" by hao liu (10z)|
|"Pandaren Brewmaster" by Leonid Kozienko (Leo)||"Papa Panda" by Juyoung Oh|
|"Pandaren Monk" by Muzhi|
|"Chen Stormstout" by Zach Fischer (ZFischerillustrator)||"Panda “Lich” King" by BAI|
Chen Stormstout is a wanderer, adventurer and keg-emptier -- and this world-class brewmaster has left an indelible mark on Azeroth's history in the Warcraft universe.
If you’re interested in learning more about Chen Stormstout, Li Li, and the other pandaren, make sure to check out the following related content:
- Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (Game – 2003)
- World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria (Game – 2012)
- Pearl of Pandaria (Graphic Novel – 2012)
- Quest for Pandaria (Digital Novella – 2012)
- Li Li’s Travel Journal (Web Series – 2012)
- World of Warcraft: Vol’jin: hadows of the Horde (Novel – 2013)
- Chen Stormstout (World of Warcraft Character Page)
You can also feast your eyes on some official art featuring Chen Stormstout and other pandaren below:
|Chen Stormstout’s in-game unit, as seen in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne||The Pandaren Brewmaster is split into three specialized warriors
after casting Storm, Earth and Fire in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne.
|Chen Stormstout, as seen in World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria|
|Chen Stormstout, as seen in the World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Cinematic Trailer|
"Stay a while... and drink."
We hope you’re enjoying our rambunctious Chen Hero Week! What’s been your favorite part so far, and what else would you like to see? Let us know in the comments below!
Previous Hero Week Blogs: